RCV Clips is the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center's monthly podcast. We cover ranked choice voting election administration topics ranging from drafting legislation to election certification. We'll have brief interviews with team members of the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center, election administrators who have run RCV elections, and more, to tell us about the resources available through the RCVRC and best practices learned from running RCV elections. The podcast is available on SoundCloud, iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, and anywhere else you get podcasts.
Episode 14: The Politics of RCV Implementation
Steven John Mulroy, University of Memphis law professor and ranked choice voting activist in Memphis, takes Chris Hughes through the last 10 years of trials and tribulations for RCV in Memphis.
- Commercial Appeal story on RCV in Memphis: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2018/11/07/instant-runoff-voting-memphis-shelby-county-midterm-election/1858041002/
- Ballotpedia Report on Non-Majority Wins: https://ballotpedia.org/Noteworthy_third_party_candidates_in_the_2018_elections
- Steve's September Blog: http://saveirvmemphis.com/irv-as-part-of-a-broader-election-reform-movement
Episode 13: Serving Military and Overseas Voters with RCV
Isaac Cramer, Absentee Coordinator for the Charleston County Board of Elections, talks with Karen Brinson Bell about how Charleston County uses RCV ballots to enfranchise their military and overseas voters.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- 2006 South Carolina RCV Ballot: drive.google.com/open?id=0B3K2g6l…seU9STGdsT1lsLWs
- South Carolina RCV for UOCAVA Law: drive.google.com/open?id=0B3K2g6l…sRk1lZ2UxS1hwMEk
- Your Vote, Our Veterans Program: https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/bevr/vets-about.php
Episode 12: Securing Ranked Choice Voting Elections
Karen Brinson Bell, George Gilbert, and Chris Hughes talk about how to secure RCV elections using post-election audits.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- RCVRC Audits Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzF-KEMJsHc
- Chris's Audits White Paper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VSgf4O3AavBHuNT-K9diWIN_99rUvyC_/view
- NCSL on Post-Election Audits: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/post-election-audits635926066.aspx
- Verified Voting: http://verifiedvoting.org/
Episode 11: Voter-Focused RCV in Minneapolis
Casey Carl, City Clerk of Minneapolis, tells us about ranked choice voting in his city: how ballots get counted, how voters learn about their elections, and what Minneapolis is doing next with RCV. To see materials from Minneapolis's elections, check out their website at vote.minneapolismn.gov.
Episode 10: Back to Ranked Choice Voting Basics
In this episode of RCV Clips, Karen Brinson Bell and Connie Schmidt get back to basics: covering why RCV is used, where it’s used, how voters mark their ballots, how voters learn about RCV, and how RCV gets counted.
Visuals always help, so here’s some example ballots, example voter education, and illustrations of how single-winner RCV gets counted.
And here’s links to webinars and podcasts referenced in this episode:
Episode 9: Maine's Statewide RCV Election at the Local Level
Kathy Montejo, City Clerk of Lewiston, Maine, sits down with Karen Brinson Bell to discuss the ins and outs of how local election administrators prepared for Maine's statewide RCV election in June. Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Lewiston's Video on How to Mark a Ballot Using RCV: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HPD37tMbgU
- Lewiston How RCV Works Flyer: drive.google.com/open?id=19WgWHCb…J1CxlAKwKoAdsHo4
- Secretary of State Dunlap One-Hour Presentation at Lewiston Library: lplonline.org/events/ranked-choi…e-voting-outreach/
Other outreach efforts:
- May 8 – School Budget Election – I was at the polls all day and spoke with hundreds of voters, we had posters, flyers, sample ballots, etc. – see attached for flyers
- May 15 – presentation during City Council meeting showing how a ballot is marked under RCV – televised live on cable and youtube, rebroadcasts on cable
- Presentation at Lewiston Senior Citizen’s Center meeting – June 4, 1pm
- Local community access/cable TV station – running the SOS 5 minute RCV video as well as the one hour SOS presentation done at the Lewiston Library
- Informational kiosk in both City Hall and Public Library - www.sunjournal.com/lewiston-spread…-choice-voting/
Episode 8: The History of Ranked Choice Voting
Chris Hughes and Morgan Chance talk about how ranked choice voting was used in the early 20th century, and what that can tell us about ranked choice voting today.
Resources discussed in the episode:
- Jack Santucci's Blog on IBM RCV Voting Machines: fruitsandvotes.wordpress.com/2018/06/21…equipment/
- RCVRC History of RCV Webinar: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjZB7V84…&feature=youtu.be
- Jack Santucci's paper on the History of Multi-Winner RCV (paywall): journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.117…32673X16674774
Episode 7: Designing Ranked Choice Voting for Voters
Whitney Quesenbery, of the Center for Civic Design, talks to us about CCD's work on ranked choice voting usability: designing RCV election materials for the everyday voter.
- RCV Usability Reports and Materials: www.rankedchoicevoting.org/usability
- Symposium Recordings: www.rankedchoicevoting.org/Symposium
- Center for Civic Design: civicdesign.org/
Episode 6: The Utah RCV Municipal Pilot Project
Karen Brinson Bell and State Representative Marc Roberts of Utah discuss the ranked choice voting pilot project bill that passed there in March.
- FairVote's coverage of the Utah Bill: www.fairvote.org/empowering_utah_…ed_choice_voting
- HB0035 Bill Text: le.utah.gov/~2018/bills/static/HB0035.html
- Utah Legislature Rap: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMEweniYYDY
Episode 5: Voter Education in Santa Fe
Join Karen Brinson Bell in a conversation with Maria Perez, of FairVote New Mexico, about voter education efforts for Santa Fe's inaugural RCV election, held March 6th.
- City of Santa Fe's Ranked Choice Voting Website: votedifferentsantafe.com/
- City of Santa Fe's March 6th Election Website: www.santafenm.gov/election_-_march…nicipal_election
- FairVote New Mexico's Website: www.fairvote.org/fairvote_newmexi…cv_in_new_mexico
Episode 4: Multi-Winner Ranked Choice Voting
On this episode of RCV Clips, we cover the basics of multi-winner ranked choice voting with excerpts from our February webinar.
To watch the full webinar, go to youtu.be/D9PWS3iLneM.
Additional resources on multi-winner RCV are available at these links:
- On Cambridge's 70 year history of RCV: fairvote.app.box.com/v/fair-rep-cambridge-effects
- Political Polarization in Cambridge: fairvote.app.box.com/v/CambridgePolarization
- Multi-Winner RCV in New York City: fairvote.app.box.com/v/PR-in-NYC
- Fair Representation Act Report: app.box.com/embed/preview/6yf48…tion=ASC&theme=dark
Episode 3: Budgeting for RCV
On this episode of RCV Clips, join Morgan Chance and Gary Bartlett as they discuss building a budget for ranked choice voting elections.
Links to resources discussed in this episode:
- Model Implementation Plan: bit.ly/RCV_Model_Implementation_Plan
- Requests for Proposal: www.rankedchoicevoting.org/sample_rfps_rfis
- Center for Civic Design Usability Studies: civicdesign.org/projects/rcv/
Episode 2: Universal RCV Tabulator
On this episode of RCV Clips, Chris Hughes and George Gilbert talk about the Universal RCV Tabulator. The Universal RCV Tabulator is software that can tabulate ranked choice voting elections.
The software is in its prototype stage now. As its development continues, it will be able to take voting data from any major voting system used in elections today to calculate RCV elections. It is being developed for Maine's 2018 RCV Primaries right now, and more RCV counting rules will be added once the Maine rules are fully tested.
Implementing RCV Statewide and Across Multiple Jurisdictions When Multiple Voting Systems Are Used, mentioned in the podcast, is available here: bit.ly/RCV_multiple_voting_systems.
Episode 1: The RCV Model Implementation Plan
On the inaugural episode of RCV Clips, Morgan Chance and Karen Brinson Bell talk about the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center's "Model RCV Implementation Plan." The Model Plan is a broad map of the start-to-finish process of ranked choice voting -- from the introduction of legislation to approve this voting method to the certification of election results. The plan is a living document with hyperlinks and web resources, and will be continually updated as additional best practices and new information come to light.
The Model Plan is available at bit.ly/RCV_Model_Implementation_Plan.
Episode 0: Welcome to RCV Clips
Welcome to RCV Clips, the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center's podcast. On this monthly podcast, we'll cover ranked choice voting election administration topics ranging from drafting legislation to election certification. We'll have brief interviews with team members of the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center, election administrators who have run RCV elections, and more, to tell us about the resources available through the RCVRC and best practices learned through running RCV elections.
Subscribe now to get RCV Clips delivered right to your phone!